Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Summer-ly Intentions


Oh, doesn't this porch beckon you? In the midst of dreary June days here in the Pacific Northwest, I've been carefully considering our summer ahead, pondering the activities that I would like to fill our days. We will be taking a break from formal school work. However, children don't ever stop learning nor do mothers ever stop teaching. I'm excited to do some of the things my children REALLY enjoy but perhaps we aren't able to squeeze into the school schedule as much as we would all like. Here are a few things on the agenda:

1. My mom found for me a book that I fondly remember from my own growing up years. Its called How to Make a Rainbow and is full of lots of fun arts and crafts. My kids, like almost every child I've ever met, love to create things! They really do! I am very excited to pull out the craft supplies and work through as many of the pages as we can. My children will be thrilled!!!!


2. We have Lake Sacajawea in the middle of our town. Its a beautiful lake, as you can see from this picture, with three playgrounds, a wonderful walking/biking path, and lots of banks to explore. It is home to a variety of critters as well as a summer concert series. I have every intention of spending as much time here as possible, exploring, listening, and watching with hopes of Nature Notebooks being created from our time spent there.


3. Science experiments!!!! What 8 and 6 year old boys don't love science experiments? And we just don't take the time during the school year to do as many as we would like. Well, I'm on the look out for all sorts so if you have some good ones to pass along, please don't hesitate!


4. Library, oh Library... How lovely are your shelves!!! I will be instituting a mandatory reading time each morning when baby sister takes her nap. We are going to soak in as many good books as we want to. We do quite a bit of reading during the school year, too, and this is something we simply cannot take a break from!!! I foresee lots of snuggling up on the couch or perhaps outside underneath the big maple tree with stacks of good books. Oh, I can't wait!!!!



And then there's VBS and swim lessons, camping trips and afternoons down at the river's edge... and the list goes on and on! I have a feeling our summer simply won't be long enough!!!



What are your plans for the summer? What things are you most looking forward to doing? What were some of your favorite summertime memories from your childhood? Please do share!

No comments: