Saturday, June 28, 2008

Rocks in my Dryer Part 1

So I've got some rocks knockin' around in my dryer. I doubt I will have time to settle them all right now as the kiddos are about to begin their day so this may have to be Part 1 of who knows how many parts. I've had some of these thoughts knockin' around in my head before but a recent James Dobson radio broadcast really got them going. I rarely catch Dr. Dobson's broadcast but this week he happened to accommodate my dish washing time (wasn't that nice of him?) and I got to hear a large portion of his broadcast with Dr. Archibald Hart entitled "Recapturing the Joy Part 1". You can listen to it here, (just click on "Listen to radio broadcast" and find "Recapturing the Joy"). Dr. Hart, from what I was gathering, was talking in part about how our society's drive for satisfaction and happiness and stimulation is literally killing us. He, of course, mentioned the grave dangers for our youth but what really caught my attention and spoke profoundly to my heart is the importance I put on being happy. I know I am not alone in my struggle (I don't know if I say that to validate you, the reader, or me, the vulnerable writer!), but how many times do I put off what I SHOULD be doing to do what makes me happy? How many times, in my daily life as wife, mother and homemaker, do I turn from my responsibilities because I simply don't FEEL like folding laundry or weeding the garden or washing the dishes, etc, etc? And is this assumed entitlement to happiness (sometimes at all costs) unique to my generation or has it been a temptation through the ages? What would have happened when my grandmother's mother decided she simply didn't feel like scrubbing out the clothes or washing up the dinner dishes? She had a family of 10 or 11 (Mom, correct me if I'm wrong) to care for. I would surmise that if she decided to take the afternoon off, the household would nearly fall apart. It seems that ladies of that generation were much more driven by responsibilities rather than happiness. They seemed to simply do what needed to be done without giving much thought to whether or not it made them happy. Am I wrong in this stereotype? What has made the difference between that generation and mine? Do you see where I'm going with all of this?
Yes, this will definitely have to be Part 1. Half of the Fabulous Four have risen from their slumber, hungry bellies and pajama-d bodies calling for me. More to come and if you have a minute to listen to that broadcast, please do so and then will you share your thoughts? I'd love to hear!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm going to try to listen to that. Thanks!

Rebeca said...

I'll look forward to reading more of your thoughts, and will try to go listen to the broadcast. We just got back from camping and on the way home we talked about how living simpler is so much easier. The kids will happily play with nothing but a pile of dirt, some pinecones, and a spoon. For hours. But at home where there are so many *things* they scurry from one to another, not truly enjoying them. (I think.) Thinking how we can simplify this life, how we can not be so drawn in by this world and all of its enticements... seeking JOY along with you! Keep thinking, keep writing! Love, Rebeca

Sarah Joy said...

I'd like to try and listen to that one too. You are so right on. I was just thinking about this the other day. I just wanted to sit on the couch when i had 101 things to do. I guess back then, there were no options but to tend to your responsibilities. Maybe if we walked around with that mind set and tried our hardest to get our responsibilities (our God given ones) taken care of then maybe we wouldn't have time to think of other things that could get in the way of that? I don't know, rambling here, as I have been convicted to change some things in myself.
Thanks for this post!

Unknown said...

Sorry to drag up an old post - but you wouldn't happen to have both parts of that particular podcast, would you? I've been looking for it everywhere and all I come up with are dead links. I remember hearing snippets of that episode and wanting to hear it all...