Friday, October 3, 2008

Day Start

There is a vast difference between the days that I start....and the days that start me. Do you know what I mean? I know of women who delight in waking up to children rushing into their beds, their eyes still sleepy from the night, their hair disheveled, bed lines soft and smooth on cheeks and tummies. For them, it is the perfect start to a day! I hope to one day be like that. I really do! In the meantime, I function best if I (as in me, alone) can start my day. Yesterday morning, slumber's voice lulled me back to sleep after Craig got up and left for work. I wanted to get up, I really did. But sleep had been sparse that night and I made the decision to get a few more hours of shut-eye. Perhaps I needed the sleep more than I needed to start my day. Nonetheless, the day started me something like a bull out of the gate at a rodeo: buckin' and kickin' and threatening to pounce on me from the get-go! It was not long before I found myself locked in the bathroom for a brief moment while I pleaded with the Lord to somehow stop the freight train my day had so quickly become! Ahhh, the kindness of the Lord, the grace He shows us when we certainly do NOT deserve it. The freight train came to a halt, the bull quit his buckin', I gathered my children together on the couch for some quiet reading and the Lord gathered the fragments of my morning. This morning, oh how I longed to sleep as the alarm went off and the sound of the shower drifted into my bedroom. And then I remembered the days that start me.....! Soft candlelight (reminding me that His word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path) , familiar, comforting pages, challenging study, old heavy concordance, Kaladi Brothers coffee; and so I start my day.

P.S. Dearest Friends, thank you so much for entertaining my request and taking the time to say hello! It was really fun to know that you stopped by!

1 comment:

Rebeca said...

I can so relate to this. I like to have a bit of time before everyone else is awake too. Doesn't happen as often as I'd like these days. Bless you friend!
Rebeca