Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Artists



"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up"
~Picasso~ "Art is a fruit that grows in man, like a fruit on a plant, or a child in its mother’s womb."
~Jean Arp~
"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures."
~Henry Ward Beecher~
"The artist is not a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist."
~A.K. Coomaraswamy~

*As a side note, may I confess my detest for crafts? I'm terrible! I dread the set up, the clean up and the mess that occurs between the two. I am learning. My children LOVE anything that even comes close to appearing to be a craft. So I drag out the arts and crafts totes and resist the urge to stand over them, wringing my hands and fretting. Instead, I sit down with them and join in. And you know what? We ALL end up having a marvelous time, each and every time. Also, may I confess my deep admiration for all of you mommas who do well in this area? I aspire to be more like you!

3 comments:

Rebeca said...

I'm not big on the kid crafts either. The mess and all that is part of it, but I hate ending up with all the junk/treasures that end up everywhere! Isn't that terrible?
My kids sat happily at the table today with their bread dough, creating all kinds of things.
I love Charlotte Mason's philosophy of having them make beautiful, practical things, not junk. I just haven't yet figured out to do that well with the younger crowd.

Rebeca said...

Oh, and today I let them "paint" oil onto their bread dough to make the tops nice. They loved it, of course! Maybe next time we'll experiment with oil, milk, egg, etc and see what differences they make.

Sharon said...

That sure looks like fun :-) I'm with you on the hesitating due to the mess issue :-) I have an idea to share with you that has helped in that area for us. Our local newspaper will give out for FREE the ends of the rolls of paper (they come in all different sizes) one morning a week. One of them is big enough to cover our entire table it's so wide! So I use this free paper as a table cloth and it helps in clean up sooooo much! Just a thought... maybe you can check with your local newspaper co.
We also use it to just cover the table for other things too or just for paper, plain and simple, it's come in very handy!
Hope you all are well and thank you for the reminder of not turning in my staff :0) I'm so done with pregnancy already I needed a reminder to keep pushing on!
Love you!
Sharon